Sunday, November 22, 2009

Furlough

A Furlough - it has a number of meanings, but in this economy, it is being spoken of quite a bit as unpaid leave initiated by companies on their employees. It might be a day a week, or every other week, or in my case, Thanksgiving Week.
A furlough on Thanksgiving Week might seem to be an oxymoron. How can I be thankful that I'm losing a week's pay, especially just as the holiday season is approaching. But you know what? It is incredible that I have this whole week, with no working from home, just to enjoy my time and my family and to do what I choose. (Refer to "On Holiday" post in the archives.)
So I'm thankful I have this time, I'm thankful that in a week, I get to go back to work, and I'm very thankful that the company notified us of this several months ago, so we could prepare for the loss of pay. Things are tough all over, and we need to remain focused on what is still good in our lives, not just the bad things that happen.

1 comment:

  1. Very good that your company notified you of the furlough week months in advance! Allowed you to get your finances in order enough to make up for the week's worth of lost pay. And what a great thing to make it happen on a holiday week!

    Personally, I would voluntarily take furlough days. As long as I knew in advance that they would be there so I could adjust my budget accordingly, I would love to have an extra day off once a month or every other week, etc. I am envious of your week free of work!

    ReplyDelete