Monday, October 31, 2011

Putting October to Bed

Those who know me know that I have a long history with disliking (fearing?) October. A more detailed explanation can be found in my October 2009 blog. While this October has had its pitfalls, I must say that I have savored and sensed it more positively than any in a long time.

Has there ever been one more beautiful? I viewed the changing colors from Boulder to Aspen to my front yard, amazed at how we truly can see H-D without a TV screen. The first snow of the season is about to be joined by the first snow of November.

Autumn smells are more vivid than ever as well. I was in the parking lot of an assisted living center last week and smelled leaves and cinnamon - just a spicey aroma emanating from somewhere. As I neared the building, there was a stronger scent that evoked pumpkin pies or apple strudel and memories of youthful autumns flashing through my mind. At that moment I realized that October had not been the cause of my angst these past thirty+ years. Attitude had played a large part in carving the sorrow I've felt for so long.

Time to put a happier face on this ol' pumpkin!  Rejoice in the day the Lord hath made! As I remember the losses of Octobers past, I will blend in the beauty, the experiences, the joys that formed there too. Stir in a little cinnamon, and it's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment