Sunday, September 27, 2009

Irrational Logic

I had a reading assignment this week that blew my mind - figuratively, perhaps, but nonetheless out there! Several different authors, several topics, but they all had in common the nearly frenetic use of colorful words and phrases. They had me running to the dictionary for further clarification of their points, which is never a bad thing. It does somewhat stymie me, though, that they would choose such oddly descriptive phrases for their otherwise mundane topics.

Misogyny - One author used this word, meaning woman hater, no less than six times while explaining gangsta rap. Someone who knows such a big word should probably have a few more in his back pocket Thesaurus from which to choose.

Recombinant phrenology - I loved the whole concept of this one...the recombining (generally genetic) of the pseudoscientific study of mental functions of the brain. But broken down in meaning, I wasn't sure what it had to do with modern PowerPoint presentations.

Simultaneity of multitasking - WOW! Multitasking already assumes that someone does more than one thing at a time, but adding "the simultaneous occurrence" to the beginning definitely kicks it up a notch.

Irrational Logic - My personal favorite. In fact, I adopted it not only for the class assignment but also as a way to explain what goes on most days of my life....

Etymology - my own contribution - the study of words. I love words and tend to use them a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment