Thursday, October 1, 2009

Surely Goodness and Mercy...

Aren't those such comforting words? Even if you're not Christian, Jewish, Religious or ... whatever, those four words and what follows - "shall follow me all the days of my life" - must be one of the most powerful blessings a person can receive.

I've been reciting "The 23rd Psalm" obsessively, nearly as a mantra, since July 2004 when a friend of the family died just after his high school graduation. Even at that young age, a life well-lived. One of the times I fell into darkness and depression. As the years passed and I traveled more high and low roads, King David's words have wrapped themselves around me.

Another phrase in the Psalm I didn't understand for a long time was "...Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me." Didn't get it, didn't understand. One day in a study course, I happened on someone's explanation of this, and it has stuck with me. In sheepherding, the ROD pushes away, and the STAFF (or crook of it) pulls back in. Pushing me out of my comfort zone, pulling me back in for protection. Wow!

So may you be blessed today in your journey of life, knowing Surely, that Goodness and Mercy follow you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment