Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Snow Day!

How fun! Promises of snowstorms and school closings keep the airwaves abuzz. I remember blizzards of the past when we couldn't dig out for days and the stress and woes of the day seemed to melt with each shovel of snow.

The media loves it. They build up a big storm on the news for days, then when anything less than 2 feet hits, they blubber and backtrack. If they are lucky enough to be right, we are inundated with stories, pics and reports. My favorite is when the reporter and a single cameraman are set up along the highway, reporting on the traffic and accidents. Snow is blowing and their usually perfect hair is whipping around toboggans and scarves. What a visual!

My family back east thinks I spend the winter in frozen tundra. I think the media has a deal with ski resorts to mention Denver as often as possible when discussing snowpack in the mountains. Vail, Aspen and even A-Basin are much higher than the Mile High City, but what a great winter resort promo to bring it up regularly. We declare 300 days of sunshine a year, and even a blizzardy day can end up with sunny blue skies by the afternoon.

I hope not this one, though. There's something peaceful about watching the snow fall on the brown earth and sidewalks. Something clean and fresh. And in there somewhere, maybe a bit of that feeling we had as kids when the radio would announce "Schools are closed today..."

2 comments:

  1. I love your new picture! The flag and the snow is neat!

    As for snow day, it was such a good surprise! I also love how the media portrays Denver as being under lots of snow from October to May. My mother thinks we constantly have snow on the ground. I love snow, but am glad we have more sunny days than snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I love Colorado! The pic was from the 2006 snowstorm, but amazingly, that's how it looked this morning when I pulled out of the driveway. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete