Wednesday, October 14, 2009

On Being Rude

Did you ever notice how people will sometimes make a comment that is negative or unflattering and then laugh a little to indicate they were just joking? They aren't joking! Believe me. It's their way of saying whatever they want and then diffusing it before you can reply in like fashion.

Well, I'm done with that. It's not my nature to be rude, but perhaps I need to begin treating people as they treat others - sort of like a reverse Golden Rule - Do Unto Others As They Have Done Unto You. If that is how they want to communicate, then I'm more than happy to speak their language.

I was with friends the other day, one of whom is from New Zealand. She has a rich, lovely accent - very proper. She was providing information to another friend, and he blurted out in the middle of her explanation - "Speak English!" I punched him and admonished him right then and there.

There was another situation with a group of people where I had waited my turn to speak to someone, and once we were chatting, another person came up and totally interrupted us so that she could get a picture. Obviously her presence was more important than mine. As I moved away she said she didn't mean to interrupt, to which I said, "Well, it's a little late for that!"

We need to treat one another with respect. When they are deserving of our respect, it isn't so tough. But the real challenge is to treat everyone, no matter how rude, boorish or obstinate they may be, with that same level of respect. That's why I'm rethinking the whole thing. You earn respect, I give respect. You treat me with anything less than respect - I'll follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment