Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gift Ideas



This year seems to be a particularly hard one for many families in our community. While the news is always filled with stories of need between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the need doesn’t go away when the last string of (LED) lights is put away. We've seen firsthand people out of work, families struggling and children whose Christmas list is only a dream.


We've tried to trim down and rethink our Christmas obligations and lists and are making an effort to help where we can by donating to some organizations that work to make a difference now and in the New Year. Charities that you might want to consider as you do your Christmas shopping would be the Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, Meals on Wheels, Heifer International and Angel Tree. Your church, shelter or community groups need your help to help others as well.


Other gift suggestions that won’t pinch your purse? Spend an afternoon with a friend, visit a nursing home, babysit for a single mom, invite someone to dinner, adopt a furry friend. The Christmas Spirit is in all of us, not in stores or under the tree…

3 comments:

  1. Very good post Rita! I always try to donate to charity, not only around the holidays but throughout the year. I would donate time if I had it.

    For Christmas, instead of spending money that I don't have, I am baking everyone sugar cookies. It is the thoughtful gifts that count in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love sugar cookies. What a great gift idea! I've really enjoyed getting to know you through the peer reviews and blog entries. Good luck as we move forward into the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You too Rita! Good luck for the new year also. Hope your time in class this past semester went well.

    Another gift idea I thought of today.. I am having Christmas dinner with my uncle that has five daughters all in their late teens to mid-twenties. I, like almost everyone else right now, am limited on funds. I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased five Christmas tins of various shapes and colors and am going to fill the tins with candy. I also wrote their names and the year on the bottom of the tins. Thought it was a neat idea and it cost me less than $7 for the tins and the paint pen.

    ReplyDelete