Sunday, December 6, 2009

Time Off

I've taken a little time away from my creative thought processes. It has been a hectic month or two with my work, with quite a bit of travel as well. I just didn't find in myself the spunk to write something witty or bright.

I've always loved the writing process, the opening of my mind to thoughts and ideas just by developing a starter sentence. I used to subscribe to a writer's magazine, and there would be a contest exercise each month with a portion of a first line given. I submitted several and even got a mention once. How exciting! "John held up the..." developed into a delightful short story. I'll put it on the blog.

I wonder, though, how writers get past the moods I have been in of late, so that they might continue working on a piece to meet a deadline. My absolute favorite thing to do would be to write a daily column with information, humor and of course, my opinions. What would I do if I had nothing to say? My mentor in this area, Gene Amole, had a column in the Rocky Mountain News for many years, and even though I didn't always agree with him (I DO believe the new airport was necessary and a vast improvement over the old!), he always engaged me. I'd bring something he said up in conversations for weeks to come. And I must say, he was right on track with his annual turkey stuffing recipe! And as he was dying of cancer, he continued to write. He took us on the journey with him. He introduced us to his family. He was the Bee's Knees of journalists!

No comments:

Post a Comment