Friday, November 25, 2011

Virtual Visits

Have you ever had a dream so vivid that when you awoke, you could have sworn you had been with that person, visited that place or done that thing? I had such a visit one early morning last week, when I dreamt that I was about to embark on a train ride with my husband and sisters. We were taking the California Zephyr from Denver to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. It is an amazingly beautiful 5-hour train ride through the mountains, especially nice during the winter months - Not only because it has beautiful scenery but because you don't have to fight the traffic or mountain weather taking I-70 west.  I awoke just as the train was pulling out of the station, so unfortunately our virtual visit ended much sooner than I would have liked. But it warmed my heart to spend even a little time with my far-away sisters.

I enjoyed another such visit once with my Grandma Phillips. She was in a nursing facility at the time and wasn't doing well, but in my dream we were in her bedroom at her house and I think I was helping her make the bed. (She always had such beautiful bedspreads!) We laughed and chatted for a short while, in a way we never had as grandma/grandchild. I don't remember if it was weeks or months later that she passed away, but I do remember that last precious "visit". I always like to think that she had that memory too.

Sometimes dreams can fall into the category of nightmares and no matter how hard you try to wake up or to not fall into the dream at all, it can creep up on you. Those are ones I don't speak of, for fear they might return. Suffice it to say, I'll never watch the movie "Rosemary's Baby" again...

Dreams can be quite entertaining. Enjoy them like old Super 8 film and write them down so you can keep that "footage" forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment